Sunday, November 5, 2017

learning by heart: happiness challenge

This week I decided to do a happiness challenge. I read an article titled "The 9 Principles That People Who Feel Successful Say They Live By." This caught my eye because of the word "feel" in the title. In today's age, we are taught that success is many things, but rarely are the person's feelings about their live included in the definition. 

The article starts out with exactly the reason that I clicked on the article in the first place. They explain that success is an abstract concept that is extremely difficult to truly define AND achieve. 

I did not think about the fact that companies and such still base their thoughts and rewards on the traditional standard of what success is. This de-values the personal journey it takes for the individual to actually feel successful. 

There were many ways to live in order to feel successful, but the 2 that stood out to me the most were to suspend judgments and to develop resilience. I like the bit about suspending judgements because it is so very true. Spending time judging yourself or others for mistakes drains valuable energy that you can be using to push beyond in your life. Also, I loved that they said you must develop resilience. I loved this because a lot of people this this is a set that you must adopt when you fail at something. Instead, this is key to feeling successful in the final steps as well. You must surround yourself with a great support system so you know you can get through those rough patches and still feel successful. 

(Photo from Fickr.)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Natalie! I am definitely going to have to read this article now! I like what you said about how we no longer value feelings and emotions and the emotional journey we take to success. I agree that our society currently values the success that we portray to the world rather than the feeling of success we feel within ourselves.

    ReplyDelete