Tuesday, November 7, 2017

reading notes: an ape and a fox, part a

This week we are reading British and Celtic stories. I chose to read a story from Aesop's Fables which is from the English unit. The story I picked is called An Ape and a Fox.

The story starts out with a lion that has passed away. The beasts then all meet in the council to choose a king. I am not sure who all is included in this group of beasts, but I am hoping to find out as I continue to read. 

As they try to choose a king, no one seems fit. Everyone has something else that they are better at like strength, brains, ect. 

The ending of the first paragraph did not make much sense to me. It seems as though there were some translation errors that make the sentence unclear. Hopefully, I will still be able to get something out of the story at the end.

From what I am understanding, the fox is a pretender and has to go against the choice from the beasts. The fox tries to give him some information to maybe throw him off. He tells the choice that there is a hidden treasure that is from royalty and belongs to the choice. He tells him that he has nothing to do with it.

At this point, you find out that the choice from the beast was the ape. The ape follows the fox to the "hidden treasure," but it's not treasure after all. Instead, it was bait in a ditch. The ape laid his hands on the treasure and the trap sprung up and caught his fingers. 

The story ends with the fox saying that governors should be men of business and not pleasure.
(Photo from WikiMedia.)

I think this story can apply to our last election series. It ends with this thought of who should be a ruler. But, what happens when one is both business oriented and in it for pleasure? Maybe I can make a modern version of this for my story this week!

Aesop's Fables (English) unit. Fables of Aesop and Other Eminent Mythologists: An Ape and a Fox by Roger L'Estrange.

No comments:

Post a Comment